What are the most Common Water Problems in Virginia?
When you discover water in your basement, it is time to act quickly. Common water problems like wet basements can cause mold growth, damage furnishings, structure damage, and affect your health. Without proper waterproofing, the problem will get worse over time. At Reliable Waterproofing and Masonry, we can identify the source of your water issues to prevent water damage to your home. We are the waterproofing experts for the residents in Richmond, VA and the surrounding cities.
So what causes damp basements, and how can they be prevented in the first place? The most common causes of wet basement are due to the following issues:
- Leaky Basements – Leaks are caused by clogged gutters and drains. Improper downspouts also cause leaks through basement walls from outside or down the ceiling from upper rooms.
- Water in Yard – Pooling water in your yard causes basement floods and leaks. Make sure you have proper drainage to allow water to divert away from the foundation.
- Water Seepage – Excess water causes wall cracks and settlement. As the water builds up, it presses against the basement walls causing cracking. Water seeps through the cracks, creating water puddles on your basement floor.
- Cracks – Cracks can form on doors, walls, window frames or floors. Also look for soft spots and discolorations on the walls.
- Condensation – Condensation usually occurs during the summer. During hot summers, the basement becomes cool making the humidity levels rise. This can also be caused by water vapor in the basement from washing.
- Poor soil conditions – Poor soil conditions can cause soil erosion
- Plumbing leaks – This could lead to soil erosion and settlement.
Look for signs that you have water problems. They can determine the type of water issue your home is having and locate the source. Some indicators include:
- Rust stains
- Insect infestation
- Wood rot
- Mold and mildew
- Mineral deposits on surfaces
- Water stains or dampness
- Stained carpet
If you have any of these issues, give us a call so we can inspect your home.
Solutions for your Common Water Problems in Richmond, VA
One of the best ways to reduce water problems in your home is to get a basement waterproofing system. Our company provides free estimates with accurate information about waterproofing. We offer the following waterproofing systems:
- Sump Pumps – removes water that is collected into the sump basin or pit
- Battery Backup Sump Pumps – protects against flooding when your power goes out
- Sump Pits – the unique design of the sump pit makes the sump pump system more efficient and effective
- Interior Drainage Systems – a water management system that relieves excess water from surrounding the foundation and directs it to the sump pump system
- Exterior Drainage Systems – used to divert water away from the foundation and prevents settlement
All of the waterproofing solutions are ways to prevent water problems from occurring in your basement. We’ll find the best solution that fits your waterproofing needs. We understand that every waterproofing issue is different. Contact us for a free estimate. We service Richmond, Virginia and the surrounding cities.